Background

Friday, September 30, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Food and Fall

As always, check Jen out!
**1**
In Rockford, IL which is about 45 mins from my home, there is a horrific abortion mill. It isn't just a women's clinic or a place where babies are killed, it is truly a den of evil. For years now us pro-lifers in the area have been praying and fasting for it's closing. Priests in the area have also been saying prayers of exorcism over the place. The owner is a man filled with hate and anger for God and His people. My parish in Lent did a 40 Days for Life for the closing of this clinic and many wonderful people are always there praying. Well tonight, there is some great news. The state has shut down this clinic due to many health violations. Hopefully it is permanent, but only time will tell. I wanted to share this news with all of you because so often we don't see the fruits of our prayers. Praise God!

**2**
In lighter news, I finally used my bread machine for the first time! We got it as a wedding gift and I always wanted to use it, but I had to run it empty first and just never did that. Well my wonderful husband cleaned and ran it empty for me last week (while I napped with babykins!!) I just cut up our first loaf of whole wheat bread and it smelt and tasted AMAZING.

**3**
I'm never buying bread in the store again! It always bothers me when I look at the list of ingredients and it contains a bunch of stuff I've never heard of before. This way I know exactly what I am eating and giving to my husband and child. Plus I save money and it is much tastier! Bi-Winning.

**4**
I'm one step closer to never buying any foods in the store that I could easily make myself. I partly blame my farm upbringing and partly blame Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship. Love, Love, Love her site. If you haven't checked it out, do it! There is so much to read so you may want to pencil a few weeks in you calendar to absorb everything.

**5**
I also made cinnamon pumkin pancakes for dinner tonight. Yum Yum! I love this time of year. Though I have to say I am mourning the end of my garden. But I think I'm ready to embrace Fall.

**6**
Yesterday my family made homemade apple cider with homegrown apples and the ole cider press.
It is so tasty, and always brings back great childhood memories. Thanks to my grandpa and siblings for picking up all the apples!

**7**
As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I'm in the midst of some intense spiritual warfare. I'm doing my best to keep the evil one at bay and am clining tight to sweet Jesus.  I've been going to adoration at least once a week and even made it to daily Mass today, where Dominic did great! I didn't have to take him out once and it was awesome. The battle rages on and St Michael, and my guardian angel are staying close.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, bread. I have a love/hate relationship with my bread machine. I love the freshly baked goodness of it, but I can't find a recipe that makes perfectly tasty bread (so far, everything I tried is only almost perfect), and I can never seem to slice the stuff properly when it comes out! I usually make rolls, which requires a bit more work on my part, but do taste mighty fine.

    I love to make things instead of buying them from the store, if possible. My problem is always the timing. Jon has hummus for lunch everyday, and I never remember to make more until we're on our way to bed the night it has run out. I need to get better about having a regular schedule of making things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic news about the abortion mill closing! I pray that it stays closed!
    I'm glad that your bread machine is working out so well. Baking bread is so wonderful...the smell, the taste, knowing everything is in it, saving money on the grocery store variety...it's all a WIN! And those pancakes sound amazing!
    Still praying for you in your spiritual battle!

    ReplyDelete