Background

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Pinch of This

I love to cook.
I grew up living on a farm with my grandparents right across the driveway, which was such a blessing.  Some days the men would be out in the field all day long, and us women (my grandma, mom, sisters, and little girl me) would be in the kitchen cooking wonderful meals.  It is like I went to culinary school all my growing years.
We always used fresh veggies and herbs from the garden, and we even had fresh chicken, pork, lamb, and beef depending on what our animals were for 4-H that year.
I was truly spoiled.

When I was wed and finally lived in a house all my own,
it was my turn to be the head chef.  
I wasn't sure how I would do without the wisdom of mom and grandma there,
but I soon found out that it was in my blood. 
And those times when my blood failed me, mom was just a phone call away.
It seems like 50% of my phone calls to her are cooking questions.

Cooking is truly an art form.
I love being creative with it and making up my own recipes.
A pinch of this, a dash of that.
"How much should I put in?"
You know, whatever looks and feels right.
And my husband will tell you that my experiments thus far have turned out really good.
Granted he will eat anything and is slightly biased, but I'll take it!

I hope to share some of my favorite recipes with you in coming weeks,
if I can figure out what to write down.

No comments:

Post a Comment